German Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chocolate layered cake with chocolate cream filler and a caramel frosting recipe
4 ounces bakers chocolate (for this recipe we Bakers German Sweet Chocolate but you can use any good bakers chocolate)
1/2 cup water
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups powdered sugar
2 squares (2oz) unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup light cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Melt butter in a pan.
2. Add brown sugar and boil for two minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add milk and stir until mixture boils, remove and cool.
4. Pour into mixing bowl and add powdered sugar a little bit at a time.
5. Beat well after each addition of powdered sugar.
1. In top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water, melt chocolate; remove from heat and let cool.
2. Beat butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar, alternating with cream, and continue beating until sugar is dissolved. Beat in vanilla, then cooled chocolate. (Filling should be of good spreading consistency. If too thin, beat in more sugar; if too thick, beat in more cream.)
1. Combine the chocolate chips, milk and corn syrup in a microwave-safe cup and microwave until the chips soften, stir until smooth, Or, do in a small saucepan on the stovetop.While still hot, drizzle on the frosted cake.
To Assemble the German Chocolate Cake
1. On a cake dish, put the first cake layer and top generously with the chocolate filling.
2. Put the second layer of cake onto the filled layer.
3. Cover the filling with another cake layer of and spread with the caramel frosting around the entire surface of the cake. Drizzle the chocolate on.